Tuesday, March 3, 2009

say it loud, say it proud!

I feel that being in New York has helped me become more assertive. I am a pretty shy person around people I don't know and tend to be pretty soft spoken. If someone is doing something that I don't like or is bothering me, I'm more likely to try to ignore them instead of saying anything. Pretty non-confrontational. Well today I spoke up for myself and made myself heard. Here is my story...
Every day at about 4:00 pm to 5:00 pm the traffic on my street gets really busy. This is a residential street and it is illegal to honk on it (and New Yorkers are pretty fond of honking). As traffic backed up one of the motorists was honking relentlessly and it was really starting to get annoying. Like honking is going to make the traffic jam go away! Without thinking I stood up walked over to the window and identified the perpetrator as a middle aged, well dressed man driving a silver Mercedes Benz who was standing outside his car, door open, laying on the horn. I ripped open the window and before I realized what I was doing I was yelling! "HEY!" he didn't turn, but surly he heard me, it was a loud yell, "HEY!" ok I know he heard me that time people inside their cars were looking at me. "STOP HONKING!!!!" Although he refused to look at me, I know he heard me because he shook his head in disbelief and didn't honk again. VICTORY!!! I stood their and watched until finally traffic started moving again. I realized I missed my opportunity to get photo evidence of this honking whore, but I still snapped a picture of the traffic for kicks. For those of you who have troubles speaking up when someone is imposing on your rights I encourage you to speak up for yourself! Let yourself be heard and take what is yours! And it feels pretty good!

1 comment: